Saturday, July 18, 2009

Master bedroom



Our bedroom opened up many opportunities to voice it's own opinion to what it wanted to look like when one morning the south wall of it just fell in, taking the roof/ceiling down with it.  The ceiling in this room was the shortest
 ceiling and I had said many times, "wouldn't it be cool if we could make it a cathedral ceiling?".  Well, I don't know if the house was listening to my thought or I the house, but now it was possible.  We did get a small insurance settlement that helped.  I think that the insurance guy felt sorry for us, seeing how hard we had worked on the rest of the house.  Also, he was sentimental about an old adobe being saved.
Sometimes because of moisture, no bond beam, lack of foundation, and not being "tied" in to the other walls causes them to just collapse.  I had also had folks tell me that mice burrowing into the walls making tunnels can weaken a wall.  Good thing that we had built that rock buttress on the southeast corner years earlier or maybe more walls would have fell.  I don't think I'll forget sitting on the portal with my father, husband and son drinking my morning coffee and watching the dust pour out of the doorway and windows for at least 20 minutes.  Good thing my Dad was visiting because he helped brace the beams so we could get under there and start cleaning up.   We filled in a doorway and were able to put a nicho shelf there more easily.
This collapse also made us realize that the wall next to it would probably fall as well, so the roof was braced with post and car jack then the wall was knocked down with backhoe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment